Thread: Blue Face Angel in a reef tank - any experience?

Thanks

Default Blue Face Angel in a reef tank - any experience?

I acquired 2 angels last night - a Blue Face and a Passer for my FOWLR. Since they are different species (the 5.5" Blue Face is Euxiphipops and the 4" Passer is Holacanthus) and the Blue Face is bigger, I thought they would be ok together if added at the same time.

I apparently was wrong. Since the lights came on at noon (about 2 hours ago) the Passer has been repeatedly attacking the bigger Blue Face. My fiance called me in a panic, fearing that the Passer would kill the other fish. I have removed the Blue Face to my refugium and seek some advice on what to do next.

I have read of some success with the larger angels in a reef tank (re: current tank of the month) and was thinking of putting the shyer Blue Face in my SPS dominated 180 gallon reef. I fear only for the few zoas and possibly th 2 LPS (elegance in particular) that are in the reef now. The other fish in the reef are:

Duesemeri Tang (4")
    Cheveron Tang (3.5")
    Regal Tang (3.5")
    Wantannabei Angel
    Mystery Wrasse
    Biocellatus Wrasse
    Flame Hawkfish
    Longnose Hawkfish
    Scooter Blenny

What else should I worry about? The reef has about 25 SPS colonies (Acros, Monties, etc.), a Banded Coral Shrimp, various snails and hermits, a sea cuke and lots of fan worms and sponges (those I expect will be food for the angel).

I really would like to decide on this by tonight (my refugium is only a 20 gallon) and I am leaning toward trying to keep her in the reef.

Any experience or educated advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris
    "Relax...I never drive faster than I can see and besides, it's all in the reflexes."

Thanks

I have a Majestic angel in my SPS dominated reef and gotfish8 (RC handle) has a blueface in hin big reef. No problems on either end. But as I am sure that you are aware, all angels are hit or miss in a reef. I do know that gotfish8 tried a queen angel in his reef and couldn't get her out fast enough.

As far as large angels go in a reef, the best luck has been with regal's, blueface, majestic and juvinal emperor (sp?).

All in all I would say that you have a bit better than a 50% shot.

Jimmy

Thanks

I forgot about the clams. I have 4 clams in the tank 2x 4 inch Maximas, a 4 inch Sqaumosa and an 8 inch Squamosa.

How does that affect my chances?
    "Relax...I never drive faster than I can see and besides, it's all in the reflexes."

Thanks

I have 2 maxima's in my tank as well. They have as of yet to be touched and are doing great.

Thanks

Thanks jjjimmy, I appreciate the info.

My other option would be to pull the Passer out, re-aquascape the FOWLR, add the Blueface and keep the Passer in the 'fuge until the Blueface settles in. Then I can try to add the Passer back into the tank and hope the Blueface has established itself enough to defend her territory.

Third option is to remove and sell/trade/give the Passer away. I always liked the Blueface better and if I can only keep one it will be her.

I would like to put her in my reef, but even at a little better than 50% odds the risk is great. Getting her in the reef would be easy - getting her out is another story.

I'll try gotfish8 over on RC, do you know what he keeps in his tank?

Thanks again.
    Chris